Wednesday 8 July 2009

Tube Strike

Ok, so this week I'm interning at a magazine I occasionally write for. By the end of the week I plan to have wormed my way into the top position, fired the people that have been working for the last decade to make it a respected publication, and to have turned it into a ruthless corporate money-making scheme getting 100,000+ hits a day and hiring ex-Sony employees that consider The Hoosiers "a bit edgy". Just try and stop me.

I morally object to spending £7-fucking-50 a day on a travelcard that would save me about an hour on my journey, so I'm getting up to Kings Cross each day by a complex and time-consuming system of buses and tubes. At some point in the near future I think I'll have a rant about South West Trains, but that's another post.

Anyway, so I got onto the Piccadilly Line at South Kensington this morning. It was pretty packed, as one would expect at 10.30, so I was standing for a few stations before a seat became readily pounce-on-able. Before it could be taken, I swivelled in what I thought was an expert manner round the pole and towards the seat. I had quite a few odds and ends to carry at this point, and was also engrossed in my book and my Bach, so I didn't really look when lowering myself into the point of contact between bum and seat.

Basically, I sat on one of those hard plastic seat dividers. And not just clumsily, lazily even, with one cheek momentarily resting there before drooping clumsily off, but with a hard and firm "clunk" of my coccyx. Some Asian guys laughed at me, and I sort of gave them a sheepish grin and said "that didn't go well, did it?", all the while distracting both myself and others from the fact that I have NEVER KNOWN SUCH PAIN. Maybe I need to man up (I'm pretty sure I do, I'm told so on a daily basis), or maybe I just have an unusual spine, but seriously, every movement throughout today from that point onwards has been a desperate battle against a violent and malicious twinge rearing up from the base of my spine. It knows no bounds, this pain - it's hard to sit down, hard to walk, hard to even stay motionless, and totally immune to painkillers. It makes me waddle like the old Muslim lady I see tottering around my hometown like a fucking pendulum on legs, and made me break out into a rather fetching cold sweat on one of the many legs of my journey home.

Have y'all got any witchdoctor cures or anything? Would be appreciated.

In other news; I miss Glastonbury, still. And I'm listening to a lot of Olivier Messiaen at the moment, check him out, as well as the new Basement Jaxx joint. I dunno, those plugs'll probably increase their last.fm playcounts by maybe half a dozen. Nothing really, but every little helps.

xxx

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you write for Rockfeedback. No one tells me anything.
    Also, I've broken my coccyx before. It's very not nice and it hurts for ages, so you've got that to look forward to :)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete