Thursday 9 April 2009

Hot Club of Cowtown

When I was about 8ish, there were a few cds my parents would put on in the car every single time we went somewhere. Over the last year or so I've dug them up and some of them have made me so very happy - Graceland is one of my favourite albums ever, fact, I can't believe I let it leave my life for so long.

I think we were given Tall Tales by the Hot Club of Cowtown by some American friends who lived a road or two away, and I do remember it playing over and over on dusty summer evenings driving back from somewhere-or-other. The Club are this three-piece swing band who formed over a decade ago in NYC, and, after a hiatus from 2005-2008, are back and touring again. All three of the group are absolutely incredible musicians, really quite astonishingly good at times, and Tall Tales, which, as far as I know, is all original material, is packed with '40s bangers. My father used to joke that 'I Can't Tame Wild Women, But I Can Make Tame Women Wild' was my theme song, which, as you can imagine, was totally side-splitting for a chubby little boy such as I.

They're touring the UK (they never seem to stop touring, if their website's to be believed) in May, including a London date at Dingwalls on the 28th. Do go and see them, it'll be a yee-haw of a night, and keep this brilliant group going.

In other news, I had a rockin' Pesach. In case you haven't seen them, Jewish fun here and here.

xxX

No comments:

Post a Comment